Sunburst 2022 Rules
Sunburst League Rules 2022
League Play Rules
- Baseball Canada Official Rules of Baseball will be used (including the DH).
- All games will be 7
- A regulation game is:
- 5 innings have been completed.
- 4 1/2 innings have been completed and the home team holds the lead.
- Mercy Rule - 10 run differential after the losing team has completed their 5th offensive inning. Losing team can elect to continue play regardless of mercy rule (however the game is officially final regardless of whether the losing team comes back and wins or not).
- Wood/wood composite bat only.
- Courtesy runner is permitted for the catcher when they are on base with 2 outs (not permitted during playoffs).
- Forfeits will be scored as a 7-0 loss, one run for each inning of a standard game.
- If a forfeit occurs in the middle of an official game in which the forfeiting team is losing, the score will be recorded as it stands at the point of forfeit.
- Maximum roster size of 25 Only the players registered on the GameChanger roster prior to the game to be eligible to play.
- Roster deadlines:
- Initial rosters must be submitted to the League President by May 1st.
- Final roster must be submitted to the League President by August 1st.
- No changes to the roster will be permitted after August 1st unless a team’s roster falls below 15 players, that team will have the opportunity to roster replace.
- All rosters must be approved, and any changes approved by the League President.
- Players can only be on one Senior level Provincial roster.
- Junior AAA players are permitted to be on one Junior AAA Provincial roster and one Senior AAA Provincial roster.
- Compliant with Baseball Canada player requirements and be an Alberta resident as of July 1st.
- Must be of amateur status or be removed from professional baseball for the current year.
- In order to be eligible for Sunburst Playoffs/Provincials, players must meet the following criteria:
- Have an appearance in 35% of games for the team they’re rostered on.
- An appearance is defined as:
- 1 plate-appearance,
- 3 defensive outs played, or
- An appearance as a pitcher.
- Teams must make a reasonable effort to make up games as required in an effort not to abuse the 35% rule.
- If there is an injury that causes a player to fall below the minimum requirement, the team with that player must request an exemption from the league and the other teams will vote with the League President being a tie breaker. A doctor’s note on the injury must be provided.
- If a game isn’t completed prior to a delay, whether it be due to darkness or playing conditions, all players on the lineup card are credited with an appearance in the game. Managers must come together to confirm/agree on players at the game and retain the lineup cards for verification.
- Players playing in multiple leagues, must meet the same eligibility requirements to be eligible for playoffs.
- WMBL/WCL players can only have a maximum of 10 appearances in those Collegiate leagues. (Appearances are the same definition as in the Sunburst; 1 plate-appearance, 3 defensive outs or an appearance as a pitcher).
- Only players who are in uniform and present at the game can be placed on the lineup card. Coaches are to retain lineup cards from all games in order to provide verification of player eligibility.
- If an ineligible player is used, that team will forfeit all games in which the player was used. (Player must be on the GameChanger roster). Any new players added to the GameChanger roster when the season starts must be confirmed by League President.
League Play and Championships
- The league schedule will consist of an equal number of games against each team.
- The League President must be notified of any rescheduled games as soon as possible so Umpires can be arranged.
- The regular season Sunburst League games will determine the seeding for the Sunburst Championship playoffs.
- The top four teams will make the playoffs, with the last place team being eliminated.
- Playoff series will be a best of 3 semi-final followed by a best of 5 final.
- Playoffs will occur if each playoff team plays at least 15 regular season games.
- The winner of the Sunburst Championship will be given the right to represent Baseball Alberta at the Baseball Canada National Championships the following year. If a Sunburst Team is hosting the National Championships and wins the preceding year, the runner-up will represent Alberta.
- If each playoff team doesn’t play a minimum of 15 games per team, the previous year’s winners will represent Alberta.
- All team fines will be added to the league’s prize pool for the league champion of the same year.
- Teams can be assessed $100 fines for:
- Failure to enter the results of the game (with reasonable accuracy) on GameChanger within a week of the game being completed.
- Failure for a team to attend a scheduled league game within 48 hours notice.
- Every game played without paying the league entry fees and bond after May 1st.
- Each team is responsible to pay the league fee of $1000 annually.
- The winner of the Sunburst Championship will receive $4000, and 2nd place will receive $1000.
- The Padres will pay a $1000 bond to enter the league and if they return for a second year will already have their league fees paid for.